Like many prairie towns, Edgerton owes its birth to the coming of the railways and the opening of the West. The railroad reached the site of modern day Edgerton in 1908 and a year later the town site was surveyed north of the tracks and “soon new buildings seemed to spring up over night like mushrooms.” The town was named Edgerton, so called after one of the railway workers. He insisted that a 'D' be included, in the hopes that unlike his name the new town would be properly pronounced. The first Edgerton School was built in 1910 as a single room building capable of holding fifty to sixty individuals, followed by the Edgerton Station in 1911. The village was officially founded and incorporated on September 11, 1917, with the new Council holding its first meeting on December 17, 1917. 

     As the nation crawled through the Great Depression 1930s Councils struggled to maintain services and meetings were irregular and erratic. Edgerton, like many other communities, was often forced to borrow funds. Despite this Council took the unusual step of using village funds to help pay numerous citizens' medical bills, allowing these loans to be slowly paid back or to be simply worked off helping with maintenance and public works.

     Church life in Edgerton began early. The Church of England began its services in the area in 1909, working out of halls or homes until a proper church was built under the auspices of the Anglican, Presbyterian and Methodist faiths. The local history, Winds of Change, charges that “This arrangement was not at all satisfactory” and so the St. Mary's Anglican Church was built in the spring of 1927. The bulk of the work was completed over thirty six days by a volunteer force operating on a one thousand dollar budget. The Church was officially dedicated on June 12, 1927 and still proudly opens its doors to this day.

     The United Church was also a founding member of the Edgerton community, with the Methodist order (later forming part of the United Church of Canada) constructing the first religious buildings in the village in 1911. These were successively expanded and renovated until the current Faith United Church building was erected in 1966.

     Despite a large Irish population in the area the Roman Catholic Church was relatively late to establish itself in the village, with their church only having been built in 1927. It was served by priests from Wainwright until the Chauvin parish assumed these responsibilities in the late 1940s. Soon after, services in Edgerton were abandoned, the church dismantled, and the property purchased by the United Church.

Many individuals have contributed to Edgerton's success over the past century and each has played their own part in creating a strong and prosperous community, but several merit particular attention. These can be found in our Hall of Fame section.

Significant Dates in Edgerton's history, thus far:
  • First White Man - Anthony Henday - 1754
  • First Settler North - 1905; South - 1906
  • Railroad - 1908 
  • First School - 1910
  • First Church - 1911
  • Railroad Station - 1912
  • Incorporated - 1917
  • Centennial Homecoming Celebration- August 11-13, 2017

     As the Winds of Change states: “Edgerton possesses a unique character. It is the product of all those who have cast in their lot over the years, made their contribution, and in many cases have departed.”

Make sure to check out the Village of Edgerton's social media channels for weekly "Throwback Thursday" pictures!


Did You Know?

Edgerton didn't get natural gas until November 22, 1972